Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cranky

We had a busy day today.

First off, I must have broken a mirror or walked under a ladder or something, because my Mum crashed her car this morning. She is okay, the car however, is not. This year just keeps getting better and better....

I then took Mali and Alex to our appointment at the cottage and Alex slept in the bassinet for about an hour. Why cant I get her to do this at home? It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. One positive thing is that the nurse is going to loan me an electric breast pump to try to get enough milk to allow someone else to give her a bottle and let e have a bit of sleep.

We then headed off to our paediatrician appointment. He said her shaking legs are nothing to worry about and they should stop by the time she is 3-4 months. Neurologically she looks fine and her muscle tone is good. He lowered the Zantac to 0.8ml twice a day as he thinks her crankiness is not linked to the reflux. I'm now on a dairy free diet for 4 days to see if that improves things and if not we will try a prescription formula to see if there is some other sensitivity going on. I also have to get a urine sample from her to rule out a UTI. She doesn't have a temperature and is having plenty of wet nappies but he said it could still be a possibility.

I finally get breastfeeding working (in that she is gaining weight, never mind the fact I spend all day feeding) and now I have to give up all dairy...Grr...I need chocolate!!! I'm thinking of just trying formula anyway, the prescription one will cost a fortune and maybe regular formula will work. I really want the breastfeeding to work out though, so I guess I will keep at it for a while and see what we come up with.

On a lighter note, Mali has been telling us 'When I'm older I can drive a car!' She seems pretty keen on this idea and is telling everyone.

4 comments:

Kelly & Mark said...

You are a brave and selfless woman for giving up chocoalte for your baby! Hope the dairy free diet is helping :)

-kellyc222 from BBC

Becky said...

Wow...I'm sorry to hear you've been going through so much lately! You have had a really challenging year. Things have to start getting better soon, right?

I hope you're able to find some things that will help little Alex feel better. The crankiness/not sleeping/reflux has to be really tough on both of you. :-(

Suz said...

Wow, you've had a tough week.

I just found you through Baby Center.

Looking forward to getting to "know" some other July birthday mommies!

Kara said...

Katie - I've been dairy-free for about 8 weeks now. It gets so much easier and the cravings will go away - AND, if you read labels, there is vegan chocolate out there! Lots of dark chocolates are dairy-free, but when it says "vegan" it's even more sure that there's no dairy hidden in. Hooray! It made a huuuuge difference in Lizzy's behavior when I cut out all the dairy, but it took over a week to really see the difference. Good luck!