Sunday, March 16, 2008

Itsy Bitsy Spiders

We have a spider obsession going on right now.

Mali loves to make me draw spiders, not just one but multiple spiders in every colour available. It doesnt end with drawing either...

She also pretends to be spiders. She will go to the other side of the room and say 'how about spider come get you?' and repeat it until you say 'oh no, not a spider, please dont get me spider'.
The crawling spider (aka Mali) will growl its way across the room with creeping fingers and come and attack you leg. Rinse and repeat 20 times with a different spider each time. We have coloured spiders, stripy spiders, floor spiders, wall spiders, foot spiders...all the spiders you can wish for.

At first I was a little concerned that when she ran across a real spider she was going to want to play with it. I was quickly proved otherwise whilst doing the dishes one day. She was in the playroom and I hear 'A spider!! Oh no a spider!!' and lots of screaming. She is standing there bawling and pointing at a spider (not a little one either, eck) that has dropped down from our fan. I grabbed her and moved her to the lounge room and went back and killed the spider. When I returned to get her she was still upset so I said 'Mummy squished the spider' but that was not enough 'Mum clean up spider, mum spider rubbish? Mum spider??' I took showing her the squished spider in the rubbish for her to settle and yet occasionally I still catch her staring apprehensively at the fans in our house.

Now any time she sees a spider or thinks there may be a spider her instant response is 'Oh no spider hurt me owwie...naughty spider'. And no, the spider did not hurt her, but she certainly has not forgotten that real spiders are not good and that playing spiders is much more fun.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Good common sense! I always worried my sons would see a real snake and want to play with it. This was after we used rubber snakes on their swing set to keep the birds from pooping all over them. But when the time came and they did see a real one they ran screaming. After I quit laughing I was really glad that common sense kicked in!

said...

My daughter, who is also 2, has a thing for spiders right now too. She always talks about them. I think a lot of hers comes from the fact that her daycare class is doing a monthlong unit on insects. ;)